David Critchley @ SWG3


I met David quite late on at the SWG3 party on Saturday night. We had a brief chat and I took a few pictures. When I asked what he did, he was mischievously coy but handed me a postcard of the image below which held just enough clues for a fruitful Google search...


Turns out David was part of the Butler's Wharf 'group' in the mid 70s and is now widely credited as being one of the most influential early video artists in the UK.


Small section of David Critchley's screen work, 'Pieces I Never Did' (1979).
The full 35 minute work was originally played out on 3 screens, all deliberately slightly out of sync. Throughout, he's seen to talk about numerous ideas which never made it off the drawing board - whilst being frequently interrupted by snippets of those very works...

1 comment: